Live Your Life With Passion and Enthusiasm! Release the positive in you and your relationships! Better health and wellness in ALL areas are now YOURS!

Monday, February 25, 2008

The things that really matter

"It is difficult to know what counts in the world. Most of us count credits, honor, dollars. But at the bulging center of mid-life, I am beginning to see that the things that really matter take place not in the boardrooms, but in the kitchens of the world."
Gary Allen Sledge
Writer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received this quote as an "Insight for the Day" and it resonated in me. I focus so hard on those things that externally make me 'successful" when true success is found in the deeper things of life, relationships and family.

Speaking of the kitchen--I bought fresh hot Italian sausage for making homemade spaghetti sauce, something that is in my history--the idea of homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs or sausage brings back such memories--I hadn't thought about it in a long time since I now don't eat pasta often (or Italian food in general)because I am gluten intolerant. Yesterday, unwrapping that waxed brown paper, it just took to back to being a child with my Mom at "Charlie I's" market--back in the day before 7-11 or Circle K, we had those family grocery stores where they ground meat right in front of you and the owner would cut all his own meats--sausage was often made right there---It amazes me how just brown paper surrounding a pound of sausage from the Safeway meat counter brought back that memory--so different then buying it all wrapped in clear plastic and ready to go----

yes, the things that begin in kitchens are those that last--I have no true emotional recall of things that happened or what my parents and grandparents did in terms of monetary issues--it is those things of the heart that truly last long past the grave.

No comments: